Blackwell House- Historic Monument in Canton Texas.
The Blackwell is known as the oldest house in Canton, which was built in 1886 for Henry F. Blackwell and his wife Nannie Jane Blackwell.The house had been continuously occupied the Blackwell family members until 1975. In 1988, the house was donated to the city of Canton by some of the descendants. The property and house are used for weddings, family reunions, meetings, family picnics, or just sitting on the front porch. Citizens of Canton enjoy using the rockers on the front porch to enjoy the beauty of the grounds and for reading because the Canton library is located adjacent to the old home. In 2017 the Van Zandt County Master Gardeners stepped in to help care for the aging landscaping. The intern program for the Master Gardeners began to breathe new life into the grounds which included new beds, replacing old and dead shrubs. The new upgrades have included caladium beds, roses, trees and even refurbished benches. There are ongoing projects to enhance the grounds for everyone’s enjoyment. The Blackwell house is now a show piece for the city of Canton and for the enjoyment of everyone.
Learn more about the Granny Bush Rose